From: robert a rice <robertrice at juno_com>
To: nanf at actwin_com; Bill.White at 110_sunshine.com
Subject: bgcajun at juno_com (B. G. Granier, Jr.): NANFA-- Re: Native
Killifish
Date: Friday, August 15, 1997 4:12 AM

From: bgcajun at juno_com (B. G. Granier, Jr.)
To: killies at mejac_palo-alto.ca.us
Cc: nanfa at aquaria_net
Subject: NANFA-- Re: Native Killifish
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 10:05:25 -0500

On Wed, 13 Aug 1997 23:08:35 -0500 Butch Carman <bcarman at cococo_net>
writes:
>I live in Tennessee and would like to collect some of the local native
>killies.  What should I expect to see and what types of streams will I
>find them in?
>Thanks in advance,
>Butch

Hi Butch,

Tennessee has the following Fundulus species:
chrysotus
catenatus
olivaceus
dispar
notatus
julisia (Threatened)

Most, with the exception of catenatus, are found in backwater areas of
streams, lakes and ponds. Fundulus catenatus prefers creeks and streams
with gravel and sand, and there are usually F. notatus and F. olivaceus
present, at least here in Louisiana.

See www.nanfa.org for Endangered, Threatened and Special Status Fishes of
North America. I would advise that you not take F. julisia because it is
listed as threatened. I would also check with your state's Wildlife and
Game people to get current status on the other species as to being
legally collectable.

Good luck, and let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

BG Granier
AKA
North American Native Fishes Association