gsneegas at juno_com (Garold W. Sneegas): NANFA-- Re: Report - Drinking Water

From: gsneegas at juno_com (Garold W. Sneegas)
To: nanfa at aquaria_net
Subject: NANFA-- Re: Report - Drinking Water
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 16:11:40 EDT

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997 13:25:43 EDT "Larry Zuckerman" <uskanc2n at ibmmail_com>
writes:
>greetings water lovers:
>fyi
>Larry Z
>

>*** Forwarding note from I1949525--IBMMAIL  08/12/97 13:45 ***
>Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 09:36:59 -0700 (PDT)
>From: River Network <rivernet at igc_apc.org>
>Subject: Report - Drinking Water
>To: Recipients of rivernet-info <rivernet-info at igc_apc.org>
>
>From: River Network <rivernet at igc_apc.org>
>
>***apologies for cross-postings***
>
>Tap water of millions in U.S. tainted - report
>

>            By Vicki Allen
>            WASHINGTON (Reuter) - The drinking water of 4.3 million
>Americans during the last year had concentrations of pesticides
>exceeding new federal standards of acceptable risk,
>environmentalists said in a report Monday.
>            The study by the Environmental Working Group also showed
>that people in farm areas, particularly the Midwestern corn
>belt, were being served a cocktail of farm chemicals in their
>tap water. The worst example was Williamsburg, Ohio, where 10
>weedkillers and other chemicals were found in a glassful.
>            Despite the statistics, Ken Cook of the environmental
>group,
>said drinking water might be improving.
>            ``We really can't compare with last year because it's a
>different set of data that includes some towns and cities that
>we didn't have last year,'' Cook said.
>            ``So we're reluctant to talk about trends, but in a number
>of cities it looks to us like the results of what the water
>suppliers are doing (to improve water quality) are showing up,''
>he said.
>            Water suppliers in almost every major Midwestern community
>are treating tap water with powdered activitated carbon to trap
>weedkillers, more are upgrading water treatment plants, and
>suppliers are testing water more frequently and informing
>customers when there is a problem, the report said.
>            But it said many smaller water districts could not afford
>these measures.
>            Water quality may improve more as a law Congress passed
>last
>year takes hold, the report said. The law bars use of a
>pesticide on food crops if there are risks that levels of it
>that leach into drinking water may exceed safety standards.
>

>            Pesticide limits used to apply only to food, not to the
>effects of the chemicals on drinking water.
>            The law ``finally fixes responsibility for widespread,
>long-term herbicide contamination of Midwestern tap water
>squarely where it belongs: on huge, highly profitable pesticide
>companies ...,'' the report said.
>            The American Crop Protection Association, which represents
>pesticide manufacturers, blasted the report in a statement as
>being ``without scientific, political or public merit.''
>            ``A wide variety of pollution prevention practices ... has
>been adopted by farmers and ranchers in recent years, which have
>significantly reduced agriculture's impact on water,'' the
>pesticide manufacturers said.
> [...]
Association / nanfa at aquaria_net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help,
send the word / subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject)
of an email to / nanfa-request at aquaria_net. / For more information about
NANFA, visit our web page, http://www.nanfa.org