mthennet <mthennet at netrix_com>: NANFA-- Incorrect Identification

From: mthennet <mthennet at netrix_com>
To: NANFA CHAT ROOM <nanfa at aquaria_net>
Subject: NANFA-- Incorrect Identification
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 97 11:09:00 edt

Good day all,

I would like to apologize for my incorrect identification of the 1"
Sculpin
trooper I collected at Sycolin Run, Loudon County, VA  last Sunday the
13th.

He was initially identified as a Mottled Sculpin (Cottus bairdi) but
after
further observation in aquaria I believe the fish to be a Potomac Sculpin

(Cottus girardi).

Reasons for this revised ID are the fact that the dorsal fins are
definitely
not joined at the base as they are with the Mottled Sculpin.  The lateral

line appears to be incomplete and the mottled chin appears to have only
one
pore as opposed to two.   I suspect that these traits identified in the
Cottus juveniles remain with the fish to adulthood?

>From what I understand the different species can be identified easier by
its
teeth and  the development of their prickles and spines but I am an
aquarist
and not a scientist.  That may explain my use of a magnifying glass as
opposed to a microscope.

Generally speaking, the Genus Cottus seems to be one tough cookie to
identify properly.

Later

Association
/ nanfa at aquaria_net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the
word
/ subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email
/ nanfa-request at aquaria_net.
/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page,
http://www.nanfa.org