mthennet <mthennet at netrix_com>: NANFA-- Old and Late Breaking News from VA, Spring/Summer 1997 Regional Report

Robert Rice

" All I am saying is give Peas a Chance !"
From: mthennet <mthennet at netrix_com>
To: NANFA CHAT ROOM <nanfa at aquaria_net>
Cc: "Bock, Robert" <BockR at hd03_nichd.nih.gov>,Dave Hall - NANFA
<dhalls at juno_com>
Subject: NANFA-- Old and Late Breaking News from VA, Spring/Summer 1997
Regional Report
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 97 17:24:00 edt

Hello All,

I have noticed that my address and phone numbers are missing from the
NANFA
web page regional rep listing.  Here they are:

4709 S 29th Street
Arlington, VA 22206
Home:  703 931-0811

Please add it to the Web page whenever possible.  Thank you.

Here is my Spring /Summer Regional Report from Virginia.

Latest Collecting Trips to Sycolin Run, Loudon County, VA :

Other Collectors:  Mark Cook (Tank Doctor), Paul Coppola and Tom Alberti.

1June 1997:  Besides the common species(ie.  Spotfin Shiners, Blacknose
Dace, Longnose Dace, Greenside Darters, Fantail Darters and Mottled
Sculpins) collected and mentioned in an email to Bob Bock back in April
97.
Sycolin Run also provided a  6" Bluehead Chub and a 5" Central
Stoneroller.
 To my dismay positive identification of both was difficult due to the
fact
that both fish were covered with redish purple lesions which called for a

no-handed identification.  Possibly damage from the storm earlier that
week.
 I have not noticed these lesions on any other of the common species from

Sycolin Run.  Also a 2 1/2" Pumpkinseed turned up while seining one of
the
deeper pools on the Run,  probably an introduced species.  It was
returned
due to the manner in which it was caught.  The guilt would have given me
an
ulcer had I kept the fish.

13 July 1997:  On this particular trip,  a multitude of Juveniles, of the

common species listed above, were collected and returned except for a  1"

Mottled Sculpin.  It seems that the Sycolin Run is healthy and almost
overflowing with life after the Spring spawning.   I hope it continues.

In the past I have had trouble feeding larger sculpins but this little
trooper relishes frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp as long as the

food items are moving.  As the Sculpin grows, I will attempt to feed
earthworms and feeder Guppies.  The water temperature is currently 68
degrees. Luckily I live in a basement apartment.

First and Latest Collecting Trip to Lake Barcroft. Fall Church, VA:

Other Collectors:  Mark Cook

29 June 1997:  This trip basically started as a fishing adventure which
turned into a collecting trip once I hooked into a 21/2" Largemouth Bass
with a 3" Mepps Minnow Spinner w/ a single treble hook.  I couldn't
believe
it,  but I returned the bass and turned to the barbless hook, bobber and
earthworm method.  This method was extremely productive for Bluegill and
Pumpkinseed.

At the time, the only tank I  had space in was a 10 gallon tank so I kept

the smallest most colorful bluegill and  2 gallons of lake water.
Needless
to say the Bluegill did not do too well overnight and I found it on it's
side the next day missing alot of his slime coat.  The tank had been
previously cycled with feeder and filter material from an established
tank.
 I feel that the lack of lake water and the handling of the fish during
hook
removal may have played a role.

I will have to improve my notifications for collecting trips in the
future.

16 July 1997:  On a bad note,  a local sewer pipe in Northern Fairfax
County, VA ruptured and spill raw sewage into Scotts Run.  Apparently
there
is no way to determine how much sewage spilled into the Run.   The Runs'
water is being tested today and the pipe is being repaired.

So Long from Virginia

Association
/ nanfa at aquaria_net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the
word
/ subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email
/ nanfa-request at aquaria_net.
/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page,
http://www.nanfa.org