bgcajun at juno_com (B G Granier): NANFA-- Breeding Native Fishes

Robert Rice

" All I am saying is give Peas a Chance !"
From: bgcajun at juno_com (B G Granier)
To: nanfa at aquaria_net
Subject: NANFA-- Breeding Native Fishes
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 21:01:25 -0500

Hi All !

Certainly we appreciate all respondents to this question! But it also
helps if you have written about how the feat was done. While some of us
don't have access to this e-mail innovation, there are many of us (NANFA
members) who have spawned and raised native fishes who can just put down
on paper and pencil how they accomplished this amazing deed! So. please
write about any spawning no matter the medium!

There are five species of the Pteronotopis genus: Pt. welaka, Pt.
euryzonus, Pt. hubbsi, Pt. signipinnis and Pt.
hypselopterus and only one of the above species has had a life history
study. That species is Pt. hubbsi which is a backwater, swamp environment
minnow that is well deserving of the efforts by biologists to study it's
life cycle. I cannot find the particular reference at this time, but
contact me for further information on this subject.

I applaud Robert Rice's recent article about the Flagfin shiner (Pt.
signipinnis) and also wish that the biologists'
could study and produce a life history thesis on the rest of the
understudied species of Pteronotropis! These are truly exceptional
examples of the North American fishes, that without help may soon
disappear due to man's pollution and disturbances of their environments.
Their former ranges as stated in older texts are being rapidly depleted
due to the above mentioned causes!

B.G. Granier

N  O R T H   A  M  E  R  I  C  A  N    N  A  T  I  V  E    F  I  S  H  E
S   A  S  S  O  C  I  A  T  I  O  N
Association / nanfa at aquaria_net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help,
send the word / subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject)
of an email to / nanfa-request at aquaria_net. / For more information about
NANFA, visit our web page, http://www.nanfa.org