gsneegas at juno_com (Garold W. Sneegas): Re: NANFA-- edible non-game fish

From: gsneegas at juno_com (Garold W. Sneegas)
To: nanfa at aquaria_net
Subject: Re: NANFA-- edible non-game fish
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 09:28:04 EDT

I have not tried eating a Creek chub but have heard other people mention
they were edible. Another non-game edible fish I would like to try is the
Golden Redhorse. In Dr. Frank B. Cross's 1967 edition of "Fishes of
Kansas" he mentions "Although bony, redhorses are otherwise excellent
food-fishes, superior to many game-fish in the flavor and texture of
their flesh".

Since the majority of anglers have been thought to despise the European
carp and redhorse have the same general look, redhorse are automatically
thrown into the same trash fish category as the European carp. This is
yet another example of why the general public needs to be better informed
of what is in our native waters.

On another fly fishing note, yesterday I was trying out some new mayfly
nymph patterns and ended up catching a small Channel cat, a small Walleye
and of all things a 10 to 12 inch Goldeye *Hiodon alosoides*. Fly fishing
is an excellent way to collect in waters to deep or rocky to seine. If
you want a real challenge I have heard of that it is possible to catch
darters with a small enough fly. Since most darters love mayfly larvae I
would not doubt it would be possible to catch them with a small enough
nymph.

Regards,
Garold W. Sneegas  <*)))><
gsneegas at juno_com
Association / nanfa at aquaria_net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help,
send the word / subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject)
of an email to / nanfa-request at aquaria_net. / For more information about
NANFA, visit our web page, http://www.nanfa.org