bgcajun at juno_com (B G Granier): Want ads

From: bgcajun at juno_com (B G Granier)
To: robertrice at juno_com
Subject: Want ads
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 20:33:22 -0500

Ahh, such is the price of fame, huh?

There are some many of them and so few of us!

I mean that,  with the new popularity of Native Fish, that we are
exciting people from all over to seek out native fishes, and are now
getting so  overwhelmed with requests, that you need some help?

I know the feeling, because when I advertised native killifish through
the A.K.A. , I
soon found that the supply does not meet the demand! It takes too much
time away from my normal job and also depletes the native habitats of
their rightful complement of natives!

Therefore, I ask that we remove my want ad from the American Currents,
the Darter, and the nanfa at aquaria_net listings. I cannot keep up with the
continued requests at this time of the year because it is so hot, that
the fish are harder to find and also that I don't feel that this amount
of collecting pressure is beneficial to the fish!

I think that the solution to this, is that people who are sincerely
interested in native fishes join or begin a "regional of NANFA" and,
from a core stock of the desired North American species, begin a
controlled native breeding organization
that is able to trade aquarium-bred stock, like Ray Katula and Marcie
Cerys have done! I applaud their efforts!

Just a thought to throw your way! Correct me if I'm wrong.

BG

Remember,  that all fish are native to somewhere and only there!

(I also remember the days that lots and lots of fish could be collected
from almost anyplace, but we need to start thinking about conserving them
in their natural habitats! I hope that I'm not sounding like a radical
PETA ,  but we will need to take a stand at sometime for the good of the
North American species of fishes, sooner or later! )