gsneegas at juno_com (Garold W. Sneegas): NANFA-- Re: Kansas Region

From: gsneegas at juno_com (Garold W. Sneegas)
To: nanfa at aquaria_net
Subject: NANFA-- Re: Kansas Region
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 10:43:24 EDT

Hello All,

I thought you may be interested in some of the preliminary results of the
Kansas regions first official collecting trip. The trip was a combination
of NANFA members Kate Shaw, Garold Sneegas Frank Cross and Steve
Haslouer. Linda Fuselier and her son plus two graduate students Pete and
Emily also joined us.

Steve Haslouer searched through the collection records at KU and picked
out a number of possible sites that had not been sampled for some time or
where samples were lacking. We visited two sites and what we collected
will  be added to the Kansas University Museum of Natural History fishes
collection.

The first site we visited was Dragoon Creek. Steve Haslouer's research
indicated that the last cataloged fish from Dragon Creek (at least at KU)
are from June1973.
We came up with the following species at Dragoon Creek.
(These are preliminary field notes and have not been verified yet)

Gizzard Shad, *Dorosoma cepedianum*
Red Shiner, *Cyprinella lutrensis*
Sand Shiner, *Notropis ludibundus*
Bluntnose Minnow, *Pimephales notatus*
Central Stoneroller, *Campostama anomalum*
River Carpsucker, *Carpiodes carpio*
Black Bullhead, *Ameiurus melas*
Slender Madtom, *Noturus exilis*
Stonecat, *Noturus flavus*
Largemouth Bass, *Micropterus salmoides*
Green Sunfish, *Lepomis cyanellus*
Orangespotted Sunfish, *Lepomis humilis*
White Crappie, *Pomoxis annularis*
Slenderhead Darter, *Percina phoxocephala*
Logperch, *Percina caprodes*
Orangethroat Darter, *Etheostoma spectabile*
Redfin Shiner, *Lythrurus umbratilis*
Channel Catfish, *Ictalurus punctatus*

The second site we visited was Mission Creek. Steve could not find any
cataloged collections from this stream at KU. He did discover that this
creek was sampled by Kansas F & G in 1978 but at a site down stream in
the cultivated lowlands from the site where we were collecting.

The highlight of this trip was discovering brilliantly colored male
Topeka Shiners at Mission Creek. As far as anyone has been able to find
out so far this is the first record of Topeka Shiners in this stream.
Kansas Wildlife & Parks may have recent records we are not aware of.

Species from Mission Creek (These are preliminary field notes and have
not been verified yet)

Creek Chub, *Semotilus atromaculatus*
Red Shiner, *Cyprinella lutrensis*
Suckermouth Minnow, *Phenacobius mirabilis*
Bluntnose Minnow, *Pimephales notatus*
Central Stoneroller, *Campostama anomalum*
Topeka Shiner, *Notropis topeka*
Redhorse, *Moxostoma sp.*
White Sucker, *Catostomus commersoni*
Slender Madtom, *Noturus exilis*
Longear Sunfish, *Lepomis megalotis*
Largemouth Bass, *Micropterus salmoides*
Green Sunfish, *Lepomis cyanellus*
Orangespotted Sunfish, *Lepomis humilis*
Johnny Darter. *Etheostoma nigrum*
Orangethroat Darter, *Etheostoma spectabile*
Redfin Shiner, *Lythrurus umbratilis*
Channel Catfish, *Ictalurus punctatus*

Regards,
Garold W. Sneegas  <*)))><
gsneegas at juno_com
Association / nanfa at aquaria_net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help,
send the word / subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject)
of an email to / nanfa-request at aquaria_net. / For more information about
NANFA, visit our web page, http://www.nanfa.org