Re: LawrenceT5 at aol_com: Re: NANFA-- New pumpkinseed set-up Q's and native frogs

Regarding filtration--  Last weekend. to paraphrase, I went to the
mountain.  Got to spend 2 days at Marineland / Aquaria, Inc. ; The
Bio-wheel people.   Must admit that I am one of the west coast Marineland
ambassadors so you may feel that I have a bias toward their/our products;
and rightly so.  The tanks in all the offices are the nicest tanks I've
ever seen.  When the powers that be were asked about the maintenance
schedule and so on we were given the following information.  Since ALL
tanks on sight are part of continuing research the schedule is as follows.
Every three weeks there is a 1/3 water change and the filtering material is
changed.  Of course the water is the same type as is in the tank (salt in
salt;  Amazon type for Amazon; alkaline for the cichlids and so on).  The
Biowheels are the secret here.  They work well, have no maintenance and
keep the ammonia and nitrites in line.  The bio load in these tanks is very
high--even the saltwater tanks and they all look terrific.  If you have any
questions e-mail and I will send all the information I can .  Will scan and
OCR company brochures and send as attachments.
No wonder my tanks look so good:>)   And yes I'm also a new member of NANFA
Sam
Sam Beavin
sbeavin at serv_net***   (remove *** to reply-- Sorry but it slows down spam)
http://www.serv.net/~sbeavin
USA