gsneegas at juno_com (Garold W. Sneegas): NANFA-- Re: Alert: American Heritage Rivers Initiative Needs Support

From: gsneegas at juno_com (Garold W. Sneegas)
To: nanfa at aquaria_net
Subject: NANFA-- Re: Alert: American Heritage Rivers Initiative Needs
Support
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 16:58:41 EDT

On Wed, 18 Jun 1997 15:45:44 EDT "Larry Zuckerman" <uskanc2n at ibmmail_com>
writes:
>hi river lovers:
>action!
>Larry Z
>

>*** Forwarding note from I1949525--IBMMAIL  06/18/97 11:37 ***
>Date: 18 Jun 1997 07:49:22
>From: chadsmth at amrivers_org
>Subject: Alert: American Heritage Rivers Initiative Needs Support
>To: Recipients of rivernet-info <rivernet-info at igc_apc.org>
>
>From: American Rivers <chadsmth at amrivers_org>
>Subject: Alert: American Heritage Rivers Initiative Needs Support
>
>Tuesday, June 17, 1997
>
>RIVER ALERT  --  CALL TO ACTION FOR THE RIVERS COMMUNITY!!!
>
>Support the American Heritage Rivers Initiative!!!
>
>In the last two weeks, the activity around the AHRI has stepped up
>tremendously.  Here are events of note:
>
>1)  CEQ extended the public comment period on the AHRI Federal
>notice for the next 60 days.  There is still time to send in your
>comments!
>
>2)  The wise use/property rights/anti-environmental lobby is making
>the AHRI
>its new poster child.  Congress and CEQ are being flooded with
>letters,
>faxes, calls, and E-mails opposing the initiative, spreading false
>claims,
>and calling for termination of the program.  This tide of opposition
>has to
>be countered.
>
>3)  Last week, Rep. Helen Chenoweth (R-ID) introduced H.R. 1842.  This
>bill
>would force the termination of further development and implementation
>of the
>AHRI.  The rivers community must oppose this bill.
>
>4)  Rep. Don Young (R-AK) has called a full House Resources Committee
>oversight hearing on the AHRI for Thursday, June 26, at 10:00 a.m. in
>1324
>Longworth.  At this time, it appears that only Administration
>witnesses will
>be called.
>
>ACTION NEEDED:
>
>For the AHRI to be successful, it is imperative that you let your
>local
>Congressional Representative and your Senators know that you support
>the
>AHRI, that it will help to revitalize your hometown river and your
>community, and that you applaud this initiative for its focus on
>community-based conservation solutions that promote both river and
>community
>

>health.  Here is what the rivers community mus
>t do:
>
>1)  Encourage each member of your organization to IMMEDIATELY call
>their
>local Representative and both Senators to voice support for the AHRI.
>Also,
>urge Congress to STRONGLY OPPOSE H.R. 1842, introduced June 10 by
>Congressman Helen Chenoweth of Idaho (she prefers to be called
>"Congressman").  Contact the Capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121 to
> [...]
Association / nanfa at aquaria_net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help,
send the word / subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject)
of an email to / nanfa-request at aquaria_net. / For more information about
NANFA, visit our web page, http://www.nanfa.org