mbinkley at earthling_net (Mark Binkley): NANFA-- Aluminum

From: mbinkley at earthling_net (Mark Binkley)
To: nanfa at aquaria_net
Subject: NANFA-- Aluminum
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 14:50:48 -0600

Garold

I don't have any specific experience with aluminum in aquaria, but in
general, I avoid all metals in my tanks.  The fear is that, over time,
the
material will dissolve into the water, especially in an acid environment.
Whether aluminum is toxic to fish, I don't know.  I have a book at home
that lists limits for specific metals in aquarium water- don't remember
if
aluminum was mentioned.  I can check.

The only metal I've seen consistently used in aquaria is stainless steel.
Some thermometers have it, and the shafts to most power heads are
stainless-  I use these.  (Now that I think about it, the straps on net
breeding traps are often aluminum, but they usually stay out of the
water.)
Of course in a marine environment, metals are quite hazardous.  I assume
you're not creating a marine estuary tank :)

Another consideration might be whether there are sharp edges on your
lathe.
Obviously this could lead to injuries and infections.

If you learn anything else on this subject, I would be be interested to
hear.

Could the lathe be sealed in with some kind of resin?  Tell us more about
your project.

Mark Binkley
Columbus, Ohio, USA
mbinkley at earthling_net

Association
/ nanfa at aquaria_net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send the
word
/ subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an email
/ nanfa-request at aquaria_net.
/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web page,
http://www.nanfa.org