Re: Nematodes

<<
 Barry Cooper has given me your e-mail address and suggested I write to
 you regarding Camallanus Nematodes.

 I have had a heavy infestation going through my fish room which has
 almost wiped me out.  From 40 tanks, I am now down to only 3.
 Killifish, mollies, guppies, platies have all been destroyed, with the
 only tanks spared being predominantly catfish and gouramis.

 I am currently in the process of sterilization, soaking all tanks and
 equipment in chlorine bleach, which I hope will be effective enough.

 Although there is not much hope left for my fishroom, I did distribute
 many fish prior to this outbreak to members of our Aquarium Society,
 many of them placing these fish straight into their 'systems' without
 quarantine.  The first loss reported came from a pair of Red Jewels I
 had given to a junior member only 2 weeks before, and now there are many
 more reports coming in.  I feel dreadful.

 What medications can I suggest they try?

 The meds I tried myself all failed.  These included formalin baths,
 drontal worming tablets crushed and added to frozen foods, and Panacure
 5 paste added to frozen brine shrimp.  Even though I added cod liver oil
 to kill the taste, the fish refused to eat the foods containing the
 medications.  Bob suggested that I try piperazine or levamisole, but we
 have not heard of these meds here in Australia.  Are they something our
 resident vet could mix up, or would you suggest something else?

 Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

 Many thanks,
 Lynda Donato

   I checked in Ed Noga's FISH DISEASE - DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT (Mosby, PO
Box 46908, St Louis, MO 63146, USA, 1995, book code 21874, $US 89.95, CAN
$127.75). You can order the book by credit card as well. Barry advised you
correctly, but you may not have used the proper vehicle to get the drug to
the fish. Noga advises Panacur  (Fenbendazole) either as a bath or in food.
As a bath, it is used at 2 mg/l (7.6 mg/gal) once a week for three weeks. If
you can get it into feed at 0.25 to 0.5%, you can feed this food as 1% of
body weight per day. **** Levamisole HCl (=Levisol or Tramisol) can also be
fed in food or used as a bath. Use 10 mg Levamisol HCl per liter (38 mg/gal).
++++++ Piperazine sulfate 17% (Agrilabs) or Pipfuge 34% (Butler) is fed at 1%
of body wt/day for three days. You definitely need Noga's book. *****  If you
have any trouble getting these medications, I would suggest you  get a
medicated cat food from a veterinarian. Ask for a medicated food that is
specific for  intestinal nematode infections, and not for heartworms. These
kinds of strongly medicated foods cannot be purchased at an ordinary pet
store. +++++  I think your difficulty is soluble, but it will take a few
weeks to work. I do not think disinfecting aquariums will do any good, as
nematode eggs can be quite resistant to environmental chemicals. Just
cleaning with soap and water should wash away any eggs, if this nematode
species lays eggs. Many nematodes have living young, so disinfection of the
tank would be pointless; simply cleaning the tank with hot, soapy water
should be sufficient.  It is not clear how you diagnosed the worms as
Camallanus. Diagnosis is important, as some nematodes of fishes have direct
live cycles difficult to break, while others require an intermediate host
such as daphnia. ++++ I am copying your email and my response to Dr. Noga, in
case he wishes to add anything, and to a number of others who should find
this of interest. - Bob Goldstein