"Norman D. Edelen, Jr. and Lisa A. Hayashi" <normane at hevanet_com>: NANFA--T. Daniels: shipping fishies

From: Daniels, Todd M. <daniels.todd at mayo_edu>
To: 'Norman D. Edelen, Jr. and Lisa A. Hayashi' <normane at hevanet_com>
Subject: RE: NANFA--R. Rice: RSRICHMOND at aol_com: shipping fishies
Date: Monday, April 28, 1997 6:32 AM

Hi, I read with interest your discussion of the use of Tris. Tris, or
Trizma Base is shorthand for something like
Tris(hydroxymethyl)aminomethane. Single people should memorize that:
it's a good icebreaker on a first date. It is used in research labs as
a "physiological buffer". You dissolve Tris in low concentration,
typically 0.01-0.02molar, then add HCl to get the pH to 7.2-7.4.
Usually salt (sodium chloride, 0.15 molar) is added too. Then it's
called "tris-buffered saline".
	Boy, I bet that sounds as pedantic and boring as I thought my
chemistry professors were 25 years ago! Maybe it's true you become what
you abhor?
	At any rate, all that chemical jibberish means that this solution

keeps the pH pretty close to "normal" pH for living things like us and
fish.
	I read that people commonly use 'salt' to transport fish. A
buffered
solutions sound like an improvement to me. Do you have the recipe?