Re: dthieme at juno_com (Dan C Thieme): Sturgeon

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Garold W. Sneegas wrote:

> With all the flooding that's been going on in the Northwest have you
> heard of anyone that has collected any exotic garden pond escapees?
>
> Garold

I recently heard an interesting story from a woman in Texas.  Apparently
a friend of hers caught a small fish in a stream.  I was trying to help
her identify it -- originaly I thought it must be some sort of weird
sunfish or possibly a cichlid -- Turned out it was a PARADISE fish.
(i.e., those anabantids we see for sale in the pet shops.)  The paradise
fish is certainly capable of surviving - if not breeding - in Texas as it
can withstand cold temperatures ( hence it was the first "tropical" fish
in the hobby ) and dirty waters....
><>
J. L. Wiegert