Native Aquatic Plants

I collect aquatic plants in the same places where I collect fish.  Both are
doing well in my tanks.  However, though I've been able to get a lot of
information about the native fishes, I can't even identify the plants.  The
local library has a lot of information about native wildflowers, trees and
even psychoactive plants, but nothing about aquatic species.  The aquatic
plant mailing list is dominated by endless, excruciating discussions of CO2
generators and laterite substrates, and hardly anyone talks about the
actual plants--which are primarily tropical anyway.

Can anyone suggest a source for this information.  I would hate to collect
a threatened or endangered species through ignorance.  Thanks.