[Prev][Next][Index]

HellerAP at aol_com: Re: NANFA

From: HellerAP at aol_com

The American Killifish Association Convention '97

The American Killifish Association is planning to hold their 1997 Annual
Convention on May 23, 24, 25 and 26, 1997 in St. Louis.Convention '97 is
being held at the Radisson Hotel-St.Louis Airport on Lindburg Blvd.,
adjacent
to Northwest Plaza.

On Friday, May 23, registration and benching of fish is scheduled from 9 a.m.
until 9 p.m.

On Saturday morning, we are planning a giant fish sale from 9: a.m. until
12
noon.  This sale will include a huge variety of killifish from all over the
world, both readily available fish and fish rarely seen in the hobby.
Fish
are being provided by American, European and South American breeders.
Only
people registered at the convention can participate in this fish sale.  A
limited number of people are admitted to the fish room at one time, and a
limited number of  pairs can be purchased during each visit.  Admission
numbers are assigned based on the order in which convention registration
is
received.  For sellers, the split is  50/50.  Participants are allowed as
many return trips to the fish room as they wish until the sale fish are
gone,
but each trip is limited to five minutes.

Concurrent with and following the fish sale, we have several excellent
speakers, including Wolfgang Ebrel from Germany, speaking on the
Aphyosemion
bivittatum complex (chromaphiosemions) and Professors Jim Thomerson from
SIU
Edwardsville and Nevin Aspinwall from St. Louis University speaking on
Fauna
of the Missouri Ozarks.

The fish room will be opened all day except for two hours required for
judging.  This is an opportunity to see a representation of more genera
and
species of killifish in one place than most hobbyists generally have an
opportunity to see.

A reception and dinner begin at 6 p.m. on Saturday, followed by an awards
ceramony and a keynote speech by Wolfgang Ebrel, our guest speaker.

On Sunday morning, starting at 9 a.m. we will start to bag show room fish
for
the
auction.. There will also be a brunch starting at 10 a.m. followed by a
final
speaker.  It is during Sunday morning breakdown that the most help will
be
needed with bagging and labeling the fish for the auction.

The auction begins at 12 noon, and will include all show fish as well as
new
and rare fish that are rarely available anywhere else.  The auction will
run
until 6 p.m.

On Monday morning, following the convention, Professors Thomerson and
Aspinwall and Tomas Hrbek, a post graduate student at Washington
Unviersity,
will be conducting a collecting trip to the St. Louis University
Biological
Research Station in near Ironton Missouri in the heart of the Missouri
Ozarks.  The plan is to collect killifish, darters, shiners and other
native
fish suitable for aquariums, a variety of herps including salamanders and
newts, which are generally in abundance at that time of year, and also
(blech!) arachnids.

Registration forms for AKA Convention '97 and further details will be
published in the
March '97 A.K.A. Business News Letter.  Please register early, as we
anticipate
considerable attendance, and the higher yor number for the sale room, the
later you will be admitted to the room, and the less you opportunity to
find
that really special killifish you may have been looking for.

Registration forms for the Radisson Hotel, AKA Convention '97 and the Ozarks
Collecting Trip will be published in the March and April issues of the
AKA
Business News Letter.

If you are not a member of the AKA and would like to joine, address an
application to Ronald Coleman,
AKA Membership Chairman
903 Merrifield Place
Mishawaka, IN 46544
ph. (219)255-6356

Include a check made out to the American Killifish Association for $24.00
Canadian/Mexican - $30.00
Other Foriegn - $40

If you have any questions about Convention '97, please contact
co-chairman
Jack Heller at (314)532-4210 or E-Mail HellerAP at AOL_COM, or Garry Wiley
at
(317)640-9641, E-mail wiley at iquest_net.

We are hoping to have a strong representation from M.A.S.I.  See you
there.