[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Passthis on to Bob Goldstien PHD

Forwarded from the Native Fish email line....

On Thu, 16 Jan 1997 12:59:10 -0500 (EST) Rjga at aol_com writes:

><<
>          NANFA ENDANGERED SPECIES CONSERVATION PROGRAM
>             by John Bondhus, Monticello, Minnesota
>  >>
>I finally read this excellent report, and would like to share my own
>experiences and opinions.
>
>On the infrequent occasion when USF&WS has announced that it is
>seeking input
>to a recovery plan, I have submitted proposals for captive breeding
>and
>reintroductions of the offspring. In every case, I have been told
>there is no
>money available, the person(s) is/are no longer in charge of that
>program,
>there is no program, or USF&WS is already working with someone else on
>related/unrelated projects. In short, a flat-out dead end. In most
>instances,
>USFWS either has no recovery program in any stage of development or
>divides
>the responsibilities for recovery plan development among the in-house
>people,
>often at different locations, with expertise or interest in the
>subject
>critter. Their track record is not something we should all emulate.
>With
>regard to redcockaded woodpecker which are protected and presumed
>present and
>requiring acreage if certain conditions are met, the agency went
>through an
>educational process. The offensiveness or some Napoleonic agent caused
>at
>least one large landowner, who had been managing his land for hunting
>and at
>the same time benefitting the bird, to stick it to the agency and cut
>his
>trees before they became large enough to trigger federal protective
>status
>and he could no longer do with his land what he planned (periodic
>thinning).
>He would have cooperated had he been given the chance (thinning while
>maintaining habitat trees).  Since then, the agency has changed its
>nefarious
>ways and now goes out of its way to be cooperative. It has learned
>that honey
>gets the job done. Still the agency is hampered by divided
>responsibilities,
>with some people having authority to develop management plans and
>others the
>authority to develop recovery plans. And they are in different
>locations. And
>you need to leave messages on their answering machines to get them
>(they have
>other things to do and no staffs to do them).
>
>    The USF&WS track record with fish is much worse than with birds or
>plants. It gives little effort, little funding, and still works with
>anachronistic state agencies who think that the way to protect a
> [...]

Wow......Sonds like you have been fighting the fight for a long TIME....I
was not aware of your serious involvment . I just want to say thanks ,
you may not believe it but your efforts make a difference. There are a
lot of us folks out here who want practical logical resource managment
not emotional or political gobblygook....What can NANFA do to help? We
are just getting our endanged species program off the ground but would
be glad to help in any reasonable way we can !!!

Robert Rice

President NANFA

Reference(s):