[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Collecting today

On Thu, 19 Dec 1996, Norman D. Edelen, Jr. and Lisa A. Hayashi wrote:

>  Hello Native Nuts,
>
> Dan Logan, Amy Tarlow and myself have just returned from a successful foray
> into the cold Oregon outdoors in an attempt to capture fathead minnows
> reported to be in a creek in Washington County.  We captured three of them,
> confirming the report.  However, I was wondering if anyone can tell me, do
> fathead minnows typically have a spot in the leading edge of the dorsal
> fin?  Perhaps they are really some other Pimephales sp.?  It was about
> thirty degrees out today, so we were all pretty cold, but I was worse off
> then Dan or Amy, for I don't own any waders.  If anyone wants to get me a
> Christmas gift...(make them BIG please.).
>
> We also captured one reticulate sculpin, and Dan swears he saw a large
> trout under the bridge.
>
> Norm

Glad to hear you caught the minnows you aimed for.... If I remember
correctly, the fat head minnow does have a xpot on the edge of the
dorsal.... I may have confused it with another species.  NO WADERS in the
ice water? Ouch,  I hope they let you hold the bucket on the shore....
You'd be surprised where trout will turn up, btw.  Sometimes a fingerling
from a stocked creek may crawl in or perhaps on may have been released.
Or it may have been a log. :-)  Glad to hear about hte sculpins, been
trying to get me some lately... Hopefuly this spring I'll get some....
<><
J. L. Wiegert
See, this list does get mail...

Reference(s):