NFC: Texas Native Fish Weekend Invitation

I am hosting a get together for native fish enthusiasts in June.  The
location is in Fort Worth, TX and all interested folks are invited.  The
following is the text from a flyer that is being mailed to folks that I
already know.  If you want to receive a flyer, just let me know.

A Note From Your Host:
Some time ago, I was asked to serve as the North American Native Fishes
Association (NANFA) Regional Representative for Texas.  I've spent the past
year trying to figure out how to get people from across the state together
for some collecting, learning, and socializing and I've come up with the
following idea:

What?:  The Texas Native Fish Weekend

Who's invited?:  All native fish enthusiasts are invited including NANFA and
Native Fish Conservancy (NFC) members and anyone else interested in native
fish.  Spread the word!

Where?:  The Fort Worth Nature Center & Refuge (FWNC&R) is located on the
northwest side of Fort Worth, TX along the West Fork of the Trinity River
between Eagle Mountain Lake (to the north) and Lake Worth (to the south).
The FWNC&R is just 4 miles west of Interstate 820 off of Jacksboro Highway
(Hwy 199).

Why?:  Get a chance to meet other native fish enthusiasts from Texas (and
maybe some other states as well!).  Help survey the West Fork of the Trinity
River's fish populations (information to be used by the FWNC&R in its
education and conservation management programs).  Learn something new.  Have
a bunch of fun.

Accommodations:  This is really up to you as there are plenty of hotels in
Fort Worth but if you let me know that you are coming, I can offer a place
to pitch a tent at the FWNC&R.  Sorry, no RVs allowed.  This will be
primitive camping without electricity or plumbing (port-o-lets will be
available!) but the scenery will be great and you will be close to the
action.  And, the fee is up to you...make a donation to the FWNC&R.

Food:   You are pretty much on your own in this area.  The FWNC&R will
provide some grills and a fire place for cooking; you supply the food.
Anyone up for a potluck dinner?

Are you interested?:  If so, here's the basic itinerary:

Friday, June 14:  Arrival at the FWNC&R sometime before 9 p.m.  The gates
will be locked at that time and we will have the place to ourselves.  The
evening will be primarily social with an opportunity for making plans for
the next couple of days.  I'm trying to line up a speaker from Texas Parks
and Wildlife who specializes in aquatics and reptiles for a presentation on
Cottonmouth identification and avoidance.

Saturday, June 15: Let's hit the water early!  The FWNC&R has plenty of
water access so we can spread out and get the seines and dipnets working.
The FWNC&R will make canoes available for getting into some otherwise
inaccessible areas of backwater.  FWNC&R staff and volunteers will be
available to help guide you into the various areas.  If you get tired of the
water, the FWNC&R's 25 miles of trails offer tremendous opportunities for
hiking, birding, and just enjoying nature.  In the evening, we will have a
speaker or two on some native fish topic(s) (I'm in negotiations with a
couple of local experts right now!).

Sunday, June 16:  We can get back on the water in the morning or we can
venture out to other sites in the area.  We will try to wrap it up and say
our farewells around noon.

What about the family?:  Bring 'em along.  The FWNC&R is an amazing place
for outdoor enthusiasts of all ages.  There are over 3,600 acres to explore,
a bison herd, a prairie dog town, an interpretive center and all those
trails!  There's even some other stuff to do in Fort Worth if they would
rather shop, go antiquing or to the zoo or museum, or whatever!

So that's it folks!  You're invited.  Let me know if you are coming by
filling out the form on the other side and mailing it back to me at the
address listed so that I get an idea of how many people to expect.
[Obviously, this part applies to having the actual flyer.  If you let me
know that you are interested in coming, I'll send you a flyer!]

If you have questions, please feel free to call me at 817-237-1111 or email
me at denkhar at ci_fort-worth.tx.us

Rob Denkhaus
Fort Worth Nature Center & Refuge