Re: NFC: More on the (black)banded Sunfish

Just to expand a little on Mark's comments:

Chaetodon is a beautiful, graceful species.  They are very gentle and cannot
stand the company of aggressive tankmates for long.  Any fish housed with
them should be similarly gentle and calm.  I learned to my sorrow that they
cannot live in the same tank with obesus for long.

They absolutely require soft, acidic water for viable maintenance.  A pH of
about 5.0 is just about right.  If it contains humic and/or tannic acids -
as from peat or Tetra's Blackwater Extract, so much the better.

The other enneacanthids also require at least moderately soft, acidic water.
  They can take inappropriate conditions longer than chaetodon, but still
thrive much better (and live much longer) in water that approximates their
native environment - which is to say in most cases a pH of 4.5 to perhaps
6.0.

The best course is to test the water at the collecting site and try to match
that in your aquariums.

Good luck!

Scott