NFC: trumpet snails & snail predation in general

Luke,
Interesting observations on the orangethroats!  Did you notice how the darters eat snails.  I'm curious as to whether they swallow the shells whole, crushed them or used suction feeding to suck the snail from the shells.  Are some darters better than others at snailivory.

While we're at it, I'm interested to know what other natives have been observed eating snails in aquaria, and what means they use.

This has important implications for the evolution of prey defenses, both behavioral or morphological.

Thom

>>> mcclurgl at washburn_edu 04/12/02 01:05AM >>>

I had three tanks that were over run with them.  I put in a half dozen
orangethroat darters into each and six weeks later, no malaysian snails.

Luke