NFC: re: Worms and Bugs

Ron,

Worms in aquariums, particularly aquariums with a high nutrient load, are
usually nematodes.  If you see them swimming in the water column they will
swim in a whip like fashion.  To the best of my knowledge they are no danger
to even fry, and could serve as a food source.  Someone who actively breeds
fish may know more about this than I do though.
The bugs could be several different things.  Daphnia, famous in the fish
world as food, could appear as bugs or white fleas in aquarium water.  They
usually make excellent food though there are a few species that are quite
unedible.  Copepods are another 'bug' that you might run into.  Again, they
make a decent food source, but in the case of copepods some species may act
as parasites on the fish.  Finally, you might have amphiopods which have the
look of minature shrimp.  I have never heard anything bad about these guys,
just a good food source.  A good aquarium book should have pictures of
daphnia in it, and possibly the other two.

Kevin