Re: NFC: Communique from the combat booted one.OT

Its not how much money that is coming in that counts,
its how much is held onto. The amish/mennonites of
Ohio are able to keep a greater percentage of their
milk checks then their 'englisher' neighbors. And also
are putting more of their kids into farming. In fact
the farming families of the amish/mennonites are
increasing while the others are decreasing.

The process you discribe was a common one, I saw it in
my family, the uncles came back from WWII all with a
new appreciation for machines and MODERNIZING, except
they found those tractors and other modern equipment
cost far more and that meant you had to farm more, and
then needed more to get it done. VERY soon they were
working for the bank. The process killed all of them
off, in the meantime my grandfather had his dairy into
his 80s.

The economics now favor the draft farms, but the
entire farm operation has to be built that way.

off topic so I am bowing out, good discussion though.
jake