Re: NFC: sexing sunfishes

color in stomach area dark connecting with strips which I beleave is a sign
of submission my both sexes

-------Original Message-------

From: nfc at actwin_com
Date: Saturday, March 23, 2002 07:26:24 PM
To: nfc at actwin_com
Subject: Re: NFC: sexing sunfishes

At 2:04 PM -0500 3/23/02, ron coon wrote:
>I figured out how to sex blue gills, do you know anything about pumkinseeds
>I have beauty about 12 ouncer,making a nest. I thought it was a female by
>the stomach girth, do females particpate in site building.Lots of
>challengeing between species around nest.If you can help send a note if not
>write anyhow.
>
> New here
> Ron Coon

As far as I know, only the males do the nest building. The females only
come in long enough to spawn and then escape the males' aggression.
Typically, male Lepomis sunfishes will develop darkened pelvic (ventral)
fins as they come into spawning condition. Also, they usually have more of
a hump on the top of the head, while the famale's profile is more sloping.
If you feed him a lot, your male could be very fat in the belly too. How
are you sexing your bluegills?

Mark
Columbus Ohio USA <))><
mbinkley at columbus_rr.com

Need fish, supplies, information? Visit...
http://jonahsaquarium.com/

.

multipart/related
  multipart/alternative