Re: NFC: Nominations, Two.

Perhaps some folks are like myself - I'm just getting a chance to read my
E-mail from about 2-15-02 onward.  Obviously, those of us in such a situation
would make pretty awful board members.  I've taken it somewhat for granted
that Robert would be President, and I'm pleased we got this many volunteers.

On a more serious note, isn't it a shame that membership in a "conservation
group" is considered a conflict of interest for employees of the USFWS?  I
can understand PETA or ELF - organizations with policies of property
destruction - but the NFC?  What the hell is the USFWS for anyway?

I'd bet that membership in NAMBLA or its legal arm, the ACLU, isn't a
conflict of interest or grounds for a course in ethics.

SHEESH!

MW

In a message dated 3/7/02 10:11:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kwmprairie at hotmail_com writes:

> I wasn't even aware that self-nomination was okay!  I've never been a
> member
> of a group where it was before.  Learn something new everyday.  (but may I
> say I'm just as happy that NFC will stay a small, fairly cohesive group?
> I've watched too many organizations where one person was constantly looking
>
> for fault, and exasperated everyone else into leaving to ever want it to
> happen to the NFC.)
>
> I also wanted to thank whoever nominated me, and explain that while I
> really, really wanted to run (and even sent my acceptance to Joshua
> initially) I discovered that the USFWS (my employer) is going through an
> ethics/conflict-of-interest panic attack after a few bad apple incidents
> recently with the current result being that employees can no longer be
> voting members of any conservation-related organization.  (we used to be
> able to take a short ethics training course, sign a statement, & get
> permission from a regional director--which was my plan when I accepted--but
>
> that option has been removed)
>
> I sincerely think that the current nominees will do a wonderful job and I
> can't even begin to imagine anyone other than Robert as president.
>
> -Kristine Massin

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---