NFC: Fw: Keeping killifish

More help...Ill be out of town thurs -Sun and am cleaning up my emails.

From: "keely breen" <commrabb at hotmail_com>
To: robertrice at juno_com
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 20:27:08 +0000
Subject: Keeping killifish

Hi... I read your article entitled The North American Killies at
aquafind.com. You seem to be very knowledgable about these fish.. so I
figured I would drop you a line and ask a question.

I recently acquired a used 29 gallon for a good price. I am using it as
an
upgrade tank for a 10Gallon. In the 10 gallon, I had 1 oto, 1 panda cory
(had more of each.. but bad lfs fish = dead lfs fish) and 2 female
Gambusia.
They are now happily living in the 29, but I want to have some more fish.
have become interested in keeping the American-Flag fish.. but I am
getting
too many conflicting ideas about these fish. My question is.. could 4 of
these fish live with the 2 gambusia (affinis)? These 2 have a history of
death.. they killed 2 jumbo fla. bred neon tetras.. and ate the tails off
2
others (a tank leaked, and so the 10 became a temp home for the neons..
the
2 that survived are now thriving in a 20G community tank)

The 29 details are as follows..
pH: ~7.4
no ammonia, nitrites..
nitrates: ~10ppm
somewhat hard water... (gH and kh unknown.. test kit vial broke)
Substrate: 1/2" layer of Estes Marine/Freshwater Sand (beige)
Decor: Local MD river rock (bluestone/slate), a "window box" (a drip tray

for an 18" box plant pot, held up by some pvc rings, and filled with 1"
of
gravel) with 2 amazon sword plants, more plants planned...
temp: 80F
filtration: currently 2 top fin 15's with floss, will have 1 of the top
fins
replaced with a whisper 20 (on the 10G.. 10G will be qt tank for any new
fish for 29G)

Any help or advice you can offer will be appreciated! Please email me
back
at this email.. or you can find me at Fishindex.com. I am a moderator
there,
and I go by the user name "Relena".

-Kelly

ps: the gambusia were gotten thru a trade.. I didn't know much about
them,
and wouldn't have gotten them if I knew what they were capable of. I
acquired 3, 2 females, 1 male. The male and smaller female succumbed to a

disease that killed an oto.. the larger female never got sick, and 1
month
later dropped 20 fry..(and 2 more batches in the next 2 months) only 1
fry
survived.. and I am happy she is female.. so no more breeding...the
conditions of the 10 were the smae as the 29.. but no live plants...