Re: NFC: Italian Wall Lizards in Topeka

Thanks for the article it was rather interesting as is the walll lizard.

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002 09:50:02 -0600 SHasloue at kdhe_state.ks.us writes:

> Robert:
>
> I've never seen one of them.  Apparently their distribution is
> relatively
> confined.  I found this article in the archives of our local
> newspaper.
> FYI.
>

>  Collegiate students show and tell about rare lizards
>

>  By HEATHER HOLLINGSWORTH
>  The Capital-Journal
>

>  Sixth-grade students at Topeka Collegiate sat on the edge of
>  their seats Friday as an amateur herpetologist from Germany
>  examined two species of European lizards that have made their
>  homes near the elementary school.
>

>  The two species -- the Podarcis and possibly the Lacerta -- are
>  endangered in Europe but thrive in auto repair shops, churches
>  and backyards near both sides of S.W. Gage from about 23rd
>  Street to 17th Street. Members of both species apparently
>  escaped from a commercial animal dealer near S.W. 21st and Gage
>  during the 1950s. Both species have established themselves in
>  the area.
>

>  Dr. Guntram Deichsel is a biostatistician for a pharmaceutical
>  company, but his hobby is reptiles and amphibians, which is the
>  reason for his detour to Kansas from Connecticut, where he
>  traveled on business earlier this week.
>

>  Deichsel had read in the Audubon Society's reptile and
>  amphibian field guide that the Lacerta lizard, which is dark
>  green and about 18 inches long, is found in Topeka.
>

>  The Lacerta was once thought to be a single species, but it was
>  discovered three years ago that it is two species. The lizards
>  look nearly identical as adults, although differences can be
>  detected among the young.
>

>  The Lacerta was commonly called the European green lizard, but
>  the scientific discovery has resulted in the single species
>  dividing into two separate species -- the western green lizard
>  and the eastern green lizard.
>

>  Deichsel, who is interested in determining which species the
>  Topeka lizard belongs to and correcting the reptile and
>  amphibian handbooks, contacted one of the Audubon authors and
>  was referred to John Simmons, collection manager at the Museum
>  of Natural History at the University of Kansas.
>

>  Simmons referred Deichsel to Joseph T. Collins, professor
>  emeritus at KU and founder and director of the Center for North
>  American Amphibians and Reptiles, who referred Deichsel to
>  Topeka Collegiate science teacher Larry Miller.
>

>  Miller's students have conducted annual amphibian and reptile
>  counts and photographed species that were pictured in several
>  versions of Collins' field guide.
>

>  As Deichsel flipped the lizard over in his hands Friday, he
>  told the students there was an 80 percent likelihood the
>  creature was a western green lizard. But he couldn't be sure
>  until he could examine a young lizard, which the students
>  hadn't managed to capture.
>

>  The cold and rainy drizzle on Friday meant the creatures were
> [...]

Robert Rice - NFC president   www.nativefish.org

Hemochromotosis the # 1 genetic killer in the USA . Ten percent of us
have it.
I do. Learn more about this disease visit http://www.americanhs.org/  .
Treatment is simple and easy with an early diagnosis so get tested.