Re: NFC: fish kills

These pools might have been low in D.O. but I doubt they were a "toxic"
brew, per se.

"Deadly bacteria" are more likely to be spread fish-to-fish than to grow in
a fish-less culture medium.

Fish stressed by marginal environmental conditions, however, are more apt
to succumb to bacterial (and viral) infections.

Steve Haslouer
Bureau of Environmental Field Services
Kansas Department of Health and Environment
Topeka, KS

wrote:

      While on a trip seining I found ponds of water on a island in the
maumee, the water level had been low for months. These ponds had turned
brown from leaves decomposing becoming extremely acid in nature. There was
also a chance of bateria growth that was deadly to fish. I t wasn,t until a
large fish kill that I relized what happened ,heavy rains upstream raised
water levels causing the sudden release of these ponds and there deadly
contents into the river. It should have been noted and turned into someone
who could have neutrelized these backwater ponds and treated them for
bacteria.We lost a lot of walleye that year.

    Ron

multipart/related
  multipart/alternative
    text/html