Re: NFC: new blue pike pics up

Hi Wally
the pics posted the other day do show larger eyes then
I am used to seeing on walleyes. Purer strain?? How
deep is that lake?

There could well be hybrids that confuse the issue and
strengthen a belief for one variable species,but the
ones pictured dont look like a hybrid to me, or even a
variant.

Ideally the state would be best, or a federal program,
but these are a long time funding, been there on both,
its hair pulling frustrating. The simplest and
quickest solution is to privately obtain some 'blue
walleyes' and do a private program. This could be a
project of either NFA or NANFA. Broodstock/'rescues'
can be held/maintained in the 300 gal poly 'horse
tanks' quite well. Waiting on the state or feds to
fund a program for research and propagation could be
to see our grandkids find out the results, we'd be
history ourselves. And absolutely no certainty that
the program would have any continuity.

I agree on the taste of walleyes, one of my
favorites.I have a tacklebox dedicated to 'walleye
plugs'  :-)

I would love to find out survey results on
when/where/depth of those blues caught. The blues are
one of those projects that keep teasing the brain,
like finding out if there is a species of sturgeon
that will feed on the juvenile or younger zebra
mussels.
jake

--- Wally Billingham