Re: NFC: Re: Fw: Resources other than timber now of secondaryimportance on Mo...

I have to agree with Wally on the creation.  i just think the National
Forests should be used only for selective harvest of mature trees only.  In
the early nineties there was a 5 year proposal for National Forests in the
Tennessee/Georgia area to have 40% clear cuts.  In five years!  I also think
that, as a matter of law, no timber should be taken until the cost of
building & maintaining roads at least equals the lease price.  Unfortunately,
it's a lot more politically acceptable to clear cut in the interior, where
not many people can see it.  And I would prohibit (were I God) export of raw
wood and wood products such as milled lumbar and plywood, etc.  Huge ships
set sail for Europe and Asia with raw wood, and build furniture on the way
which they sell upon arrival.  We have abandoned our original tariff system
and become essentially a colony, receiving finished goods and exporting raw
materials.

Mike Whitfield

multipart/alternative
  text/html