NFC: Re: Fw: [bluepike] my reasearch on the existance of the Blue Pike

Well actually there is quite a bit of debate these days around here if the
"Blue Pike" is/was just a color morph of Walleye. Blue Pike have been/were
introduced in many lakes here in NW PA in the 1950s and 1960s including Lake
Edinboro, Pymatuning Reservoir, and Kinzua Reservoir. I was told this by
someone from the Fish and Boat Commision here in PA. (we have a HUGE
hatchery/ fish farm here in Corry where I live) They never did quite
establish themselves. Even in Kinzua (near Warren PA) which is deeper and
cooler than Lake Erie. The thought at the time was that they were just a
color morph of regular walleye and that color morph ceased when they
interbred with regular walleye. Even today in Lake Erie you can still find
many blueish looking Walleyes as is mentioned in the article. I have cought
several myself over the years. The debate will always linger on around here.
My feelings are that they were just a color morph as a result of them living
in deeper waters. This deeper water ecosystem was very hard hit with
pollution and destruction and that hurt the color morph. The old timers say
you could only catch them in deeper waters. There is a push around here for
people who catch blueish walleyes to try and keep them alive and give them
to the commision. I have not cought one since I knew this however, but I am
looking forward to trying again in the spring when the lunkers come into the
river mouths around here :)

Wally