From: owner-nfc at actwin_com [mailto:owner-nfc at actwin_com]On Behalf Of
Wally Billingham
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2001 11:28 PM
To: nfc at actwin_com
Subject: NFC: Re: Parasites

Were they in a stream with a lot of fresh water mussels? The first stage in
the life cycle of a mussel is to be a parasite on a fish. That way the fish
move them around and when they feel like it they just drop off and will
spend the rest of their life within a few feet of that spot. I see it on the
fish here in French Creek (N.W. PA) all of the time. If thats what they are
they will do know harm. Also many (if not all) native species of fresh water
mussels are Federally Protected or Federally Endangered. Mainly due to
exotic introductions and pollution.

There is NOTHING sadder to me than to see a huge endangered mussel covered
with 100's of Exotic Zebra Mussels. Unfortunately I saw that WAY to many
times this past year in Lake Erie and the streams that feed it. I PRAY that
they never find their way into French Creek but I know that they will. The
problem is that the Zebra Mussels grow so well on other mussels that they
can't open their shells and starve or suffocate.

Wally