Re: NFC: Visitor Center Tank

I'll work on the photos when I get back.

In terms of additional fish, I'm looking for 5-6 orangespotted sunfish, at
least 3 additional central stonerollers (aside from being very cool fish, I
still haven't got my algae problem licked...first tank I've ever had an
ongoing one...suspect coworkers of feeding whenever I'm not around so they
can watch the frenzy), a dozen or so more redbelly dace (prefer northern,
but southern, or even mountain would probably be okay), I would like about
another 12 darters (Luke gave me orangethroat...which I love...but I just
found out about another darter more widespread through the region, can't
remember which & don't have my notes w/ me), I'm not sure what else for
fish.  I'm also looking for plants...both endemic to Colorado and invasive
in Colorado.

I think I mentioned that the accompanying activity for the tank is "Which of
these things do not belong"...I'm focusing on native vs non-native with a
few odd ones like the red shiners which are native to one large Colorado
drainage but are an extremely damaging introduced species in most others.

I of course have also included a few gambusia...I initially used them in the
tank to make sure it was safe after the spraying situation but then
discovered that the darters LOVE to hunt down and consume the gambusia
fry...the gambusia stay in the upper levels of the tank where there's lots
of coonstail & duckweed to hide in.  The darters (as expected) stay in the
lower rocky areas where I have the powerhead focused, but they 'climb' a
large branch that diagonals the tank up to the gambusia territory & raid.
Fascinating to watch.  I can always tell when the gambusia have been
breeding because everyone else in the tank starts ignoring even bloodworms
:).

-Kris