NFC: Post Thanksgiving Collecting

At 11:05 PM -0500 11/29/01, nickel55 wrote:
>I don't know about the rest of the country, but here in the northeast we
>have had a great fall, November has been in the 60 to 70 degree range most
>of the month, and sunny, which is very unusual for around here, even most
>nights have been mild. I went collecting the day after Thanksgiving,
>normally it would have been too cold or rainy to even consider it. Brought
>along my two grand kids with me and they loved it, I think they would have
>stayed out on the creek all day if I let them.<

I got to do a little collecting after Thanksgiving too.  My brother from
New York was home for one of his twice or three-times-a-year visits, and he
didn't want to pass on the opportunity to go fish chasing.  His girlfriend,
from Hong Kong, decided that she wanted to finally see what all the fuss
was about, so she joined us despite the frigid water and setting sun.  I
think her only complaint would have been that she got a little bogged down
in some soft substrate near the stream bank.  Other than that, I think she
found it quite enjoyable and was surprised at the variety and colors of the
fishes we found.  Here's the breakdown --

November 23, 2001, Battle Run, tributary of Scioto River, Prospect, Marion
County, Ohio, Upstream of Rt 203.  4 x 8 foot x 1/8 inch mesh seine.
Species observed:

Pimephales notatus (Rafinesque) - bluntnose minnow
Pimephales promelas Rafinesque - fathead minnow
Semotilus atromaculatus (Mitchill) - creek chub
Catostomus commersoni (Lacepede) - white sucker
Ambloplites rupestris (Rafinesque) - rock bass
Lepomis cyanellus Rafinesque - green sunfish
Lepomis macrochirus Rafinesque - bluegill
Lepomis megalotis (Rafinesque) - longear sunfish
Etheostoma caeruleum Storer - rainbow darter
Etheostoma blennioides Rafinesque - greenside darter
Etheostoma nigrum Rafinesque - johnnydarter
Etheostoma spectabile (Agassiz) - orangethroat darter
crayfish
tadpole

Mark
Columbus Ohio USA            <))><