Re: NFC: establish a breeding colony

Good point, its a wide ranging species, with a number
of subspecies,

on the taxonomy issue, of the lumpers versus
splitters, I am a lumper but do see a need for more
subspecies within it. We shall see what will be.

its one of my favorite natives, I admire its
adaptability. Here in NYS it is threatened and
declining, but, its historical range was in the
western part of the state, that is in a major hurt
from environmental pollution, the rivers of the
Niagara Falls area, Buffalo etc are close to the state
of the Cleveland River in Ohio that actually caught on
fire once.

In the past few years there has been some cleanup but
the rivers remain polluted.Little life. This is the
area of 'Love Canal' and other major industrial
pollluters. In 'their wisdom' the NYS DEC has decided
not to try to restore Lepomis to any of its original
habitat, or to introduce it anywhere else.

So its main future in NYS, if there is to be one is I
think one of private stockings on private property.
Farm ponds etc. Otherwise it will continue to dwindle
to non-existence in NY waters.

What a pity.
jake