From: Cynthia [mailto:xphilez2 at aol_com]
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2001 11:42 AM
To: deano at aquaculturestore_com
Subject: BoardRoom: what kind of minnow do i have?

Time: Sun, 18-Nov-2001 16:41:41 GMT     IP: 152.163.207.188

hi guys! i am having a lot of difficulty figuring out what kind
of fish i have! i am a student worker at my college in central
ohio. i work in the biology labs taking care of all of our
animals. included in our collectio are a freshwater tank and a
reef tank. last week, one of my professors brought me 3
freshwater minnows (that's what he called them) he found and i
wanted to make a tag for them like we have for the other fish in
the tanks with common name, picture, scientific name, and native
habitat(s). too bad i have NO idea what he has brought me! the
minnows i can find that have the same markings, do not have the
same fin configuration! the ones whose fins look right are from
a totally different region of the world or have different
coloring! i am so confused! i will try to give you guys the best
description i can and hope someone can tell me what it is! if
there are any ohio fishermen here, i'd love to hear from you! :)
okay, here goes:

-- small, maybe 5 cm long (don't know how old they are, though)

-- 2 dorsal fins, 1 long and flat (sometimes 'stuck' to the
body), the other long and flat also but more of a triangle shape
at the same time.

-- 1 anal fin, triangular.

-- 1 pair of fins behind the gills. these are relatively small.

-- 1 pair of fins behind the gills and under the body more.
smaller than the fins behind the gills.

-- fish is a light brown, thin darker brown line down it's side
(head to tail) with darker brown scales here and there above the
line.

-- rounded head with mouth kind of on bottom of head

-- not a rounded tail fin, more like a goldfish tail fin (you
know it looks like 2 tail fins - i don't know what it is called,
sorry).

-- stays at the bottom of the tank

if you would like to see a sketch i made of it, go here:
http://www.lelandsworld.com/~cucumbermsra/minnowsketch.jpg
(please keep in mind i am a BIO major, not an art major! ;) )

i thought it might be a bluntnose minnow, but they only have 1
dorsal fin and no darker brown spots above the line.

i also thought it was a johnny darter, but the dorsal fins are
flatter on the fish we have, there is no darker brown line on
the johnny darter, and i don't think the dorsal spines (is that
what they are called?) are as obvious on our fish as they are on
this darter.

i would appreciate ANY help! THANK YOU!

Thank You for using Beseen.com
http://www.beseen.com

Submit your site to the top search engines with one click...
Visit http://www.beseen.com/submit/ today.

This message is to notify the owner of a Beseen.com BoardRoom
that someone has posted a new message.  If you receive this
message in error, please forward this letter to  abuse at beseen_com
pluto,p53234      Sent to: deano at aquaculturestore_com