NFC: hobbyists helping to restore endangered natives

Bryce,
Clark Hubbs is famous for keeping large colonies of gambusias endemic to Texas.  Several of these fish are known from only a single spring, and often the springs are in use by humans as water sources.  Hubbs has purportedly repopulated natural populations from his stocks when the springs got low enough to crash the natural populations.

Note in this case Hubbs is a professor (at U TX in Austin) and so he is only arguably a hobbyist.  Yet hobbyists could do what he does.

Thom DeWitt

_______________________________

Dr. Thomas J. DeWitt, Assistant Professor
Department of Wildlife & Fisheries Sciences
  & Program in Bioenvironmental Sciences
Texas A&M University
2258 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-2258

Tel. (979) 458-1684 (office)
Tel. (979) 845-7522 (lab)
Fax (979) 845-4096
E-mail tdewitt at tamu_edu
Web http://wfscnet.tamu.edu/wfscnet/facstaff/tdewitt/webpage.htm
TAMU Map to DeWitt lab & office: http://www.tamu.edu/map/gifs/detail/FGHB.gif

>>> brycedan at mindspring_com 10/30/01 10:24AM >>>
Robert--you mentioned NFC members Conservation Fisheries.  Is this an
established network of folks, or just how you refer to them?  Members of
this listserve?  Would love to find out more about who and where these folks
are working, and with which species.  Just for my personal knowledge, as
I've often wondered (and hoped) at the idea of private entities raising rare
species for potential reintroduction, as well as learning of their success
stories??  I realize hatcheries can do wonders for propogation of rare
species, but does anyone know of any attempting to raise smaller non-game
spp. i.e., rare darters and minnows.  If anyone has personal experience with
this and doesn't mind sharing, or knows of those who wouldn't mind, that
would be great!
Thanks-
Bryce