Re: NFC: Re: Re: Stunted fish growth and breeding

Hi Kris

you are correct in that most fish die before reaching
'stunted maturity', but the fact is that, many fish in
aquaria do reach this dubious state, also in
overcrowded ponds etc, witness the plethora of farm
ponds with literally a ton or more of 1" sized
panfish.

On the opposite side of this is the various
experimental demonstrations of overcrowding in
confinement rearing using major water changes or
flowthru systems wherin fish were reared literally
touching one another. Of course the mortalities from
wounds was prohibitive but the intentions of the
research was to explore limiting factors. A famous
photo of one such study in Germany utilizing German
Mirror Carp shows ~ 50kilos of carp in less then 100
litres of water. This is featured in a popular Aqua
Farming textbook of the '70s.

However, I repeat my previous post, stunting can be
done, but it is counterproductive, and abusive to the
fish. A stunted fish isnot a healthy fish.

I am in full agreement with your sentiments ref the
unscupulous salespeople.
enjoy,
jake

--- Kristine Weisbrod Massin <kwmprairie at hotmail_com>