NFC: Re: Native moss

Thanks Joshua.

Until you mentioned it, I hadn't considered Riccia, just Fontinalis and
Fissidens.  More to think about.  I spent several hours researching NA
mosses on the Web last night and the more I discover about Fontinalis, the
more I think that's what I have.  The rock that I found the moss on came
from relatively deep, fast moving water and from what I've learned, living
in fast flowing water is Fontinalis' claim to fame--hence the common name
"Torrent Moss".  Part of the problem for me in identifying the moss is that
I have so little to observe.  It's a small piece (~3-4 cm) that was wedged
into a crevice on one of the rocks I picked up.  I didn't even know it was
there until I found it while cleaning the rocks.  I thought what the heck
and tossed it in a cup full of water from one of my planted tanks and stuck
it under a plant bulb.  Most of the original growth is dying or dead
already, but several areas of new growth are starting to come on
strong.  If the bright green coloring and pattern of the new growth holds,
this is going to be one fine addition to the TN biotope I'm working on.

For now, I'll just be happy I have a nice native moss like you suggest.

Chuck

Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee  USA
mailto:grendel at usit_net