Re: NFC: Fish List, October 22nd-26th, Prices Included (HOLIDAY SPECIALS!)

On 21 Oct 2001, at 11:21, Wally Billingham wrote:

> IMHO heater cables are a waste of big money. I know some people swear by
> them, but   I also know a ton of people will awesome planted tanks that do
> not have them.

The idea behind the cables is not to produce healthy plants in the
short term, but to keep the substrate healthy over the long term.
So say Herren Horst und Kipper.  As to the cost...they can be
made quite cheaply.  As I recall there was an article in FAMA
several years back on how to do it.  What amazes me is that
anybody falls for Dupla's rip-off prices (Kaspar Horst again).  Which
reminds me, I bought an Eheim filter not very long ago, after
hearing so many people rave about it.  I was not impressed.  I think
most people just want to justify the money they spent on it by
telling others how good it is.  I have always questioned how these
filters are rated for a given tank - the flow rate is just way too slow.
Folks have told me that the "superior design of the filter chamber
makes a higher flow rate unnecessary".  Hogwash.  I wonder if
Dupla and Ehiem are so expensive simply because they are
German imports?

Prost,

Martin
Jackson, MS
I remember how my great-uncle Jerry would sit on the porch
and whittle all day long. Once he whittled me a toy boat out
of a larger toy boat I had. It was almost as good as the first
one, except now it had bumpy whittle marks all over it. And
no paint, because he had whittled off the paint.

Follow-Ups: References: