From: "Steven P. Platania" <platania at unm_edu>
To: president at nativefish_org
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 17:18:57 -0700
Subject: Request for Assistance

Dear Sirs,

My name is Steven Platania and I am an ichthyologist whose primary
interest
is with native fishes of the American Southwest.  Much of my recent work
has been centered around the reproductive biology of obligate riverine
cyprinids in the Rio Grande and Pecos River.  These studies have provided

us with background life history and reproductive ecology information on
several species and helped to illuminate reasons for their decline.  Most

of this work has been with species that produce broadcast semibuoyant
eggs
(pelagic spawners) that hatch rapidly (24 - 48 hours).  Rio Grande
silvery
minnow and Pecos bluntnose shiner are, among others that we study,
members
of this reproductive guild.  We are now in the earliest stages of
investigation of other rare native New Mexico fish species.

I would like to locate an individual or individuals in the Albuquerque
(New
Mexico) Area with knowledge and interest in rearing and breeding of
native
fishes from the American Southwest.  I am also looking for individuals
who
have experience photographing live native freshwater fishes both in
aquaria
and the wild.

Over the next few years, my colleagues and I will be working on projects
in
the Gila and Pecos Rivers that will involve breeding experiments with
native fishes (primarily minnows).  While we will initially attempt to
induce spawning of selected species through the use of chemical stimuli,
we
would ultimately like to be able to have these fish spawn in aquaria on
their own - an important step for recovery of these rare natives.
Neither
the holding nor natural breeding of native fishes is my forte.
Conversely,
this seems like a perfect match for members of the Native Fish
Conservancy.

Likewise, most of my experience with fish photography has been with
recently preserved specimens (I am permitted for such activities).  I
want
to begin, along with a colleague of mine at the NM Game and Fish
Department, to acquire quality transparencies of New Mexico's native fish

fauna.  What we do not want to do is "reinvent the wheel."  I have seen
numerous excellent color photographs through your web page by individuals

that I assume are members of your society.
Hopefully, there is someone in Albuquerque (or New Mexico) with these
skills and a willingness to share that knowledge.

I would be grateful for any assistance that you might be able to provide.

I would not expect you to provide me with names and e-mail addresses of
New
Mexico (Albuquerque) members of the society.  However, I would be
grateful
if you would pass this correspondence onto them so that they can contact
me.  I will also be posting a similar message with North American Native
Fish Association.

If you can provide assistance (in the form of individuals), and we are
successful in our endeavors, I would certainly acknowledge that
assistance
and if you desire, would prepare an article and/or provide photographs
for
your web page or society publication.

Thanks you for your time.

Respectfully,

Steven P. Platania

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xx

Steven P. Platania
Associate Curator of Fishes
Division of Fishes