NFC: Fw: Salmon Planning Act Needs Your Support

FYI..........

Dear robert,

Last week, our Congressmembers returned to DC after
the August recess. From Maine to California, people
like you visited and called them in their district
offices, urging them to restore the once-thriving Wild
Snake River Salmon in America's Pacific Northwest.
This summer's drought and federal energy policies have
devastated salmon, and make the need for your help
so important. Please take a minute: urge your Rep.
to join our growing list of 44 Salmon Planning Act
co-sponsors.

You can take action on this alert either via email
(please see directions below) or via the web at:
http://ga0.org/campaign/support_the_salmon_planning_act_today/wxk37dr178x
tdk

We encourage you to take action by October 13, 2001

Urge Your Congressmember: Support Snake River Salmon

----------------------

Nationwide last month, people like you pressured their
Congressmembers in their district offices to restore
the once-thriving Wild Snake River Salmon in America's
Pacific Northwest. This summer's drought and federal
energy policies have devastated salmon, and make the
need for your help even more important. HELP: urge
your Rep. to join our growing list of 44 Salmon Planning
Act Co-sponsors.

----------------------

INSTRUCTIONS TO RESPOND VIA THE WEB:
If you have access to a web browser, you can take action
on this alert by going to the following URL:

http://ga0.org/campaign/support_the_salmon_planning_act_today/wxk37dr178x
tdk

INSTRUCTIONS TO RESPOND VIA EMAIL:
Just choose the "reply to sender" option on your email
program, and edit the letter below as you wish. Do
not delete "-YOU MAY EDIT THE LETTER BELOW-" and "-END
OF LETTER-". Please do not add your name and address
to your letter. Our system automatically does this
for you.

We STRONGLY encourage you to make edits directly to
our sample letter below, and put the alert talking
points into your own words. An individualized letter
is worth ten computer generated letters. Of course,
hundreds of unedited letters will still create a large
impact, so please reply even if you don't have time
to personalize the letter.

Your letter will be addressed and sent to:
Representative Karen Thurman

-------YOU MAY EDIT THE LETTER BELOW---------

  I'm writing to urge you to join the growing bipartisan
support for America's Northwest salmon and communities
by immediately co-sponsoring the Salmon Planning Act,
sponsored by Representative Jim McDermott (D-WA). Wild
Snake River Salmon and the communities that depend
on them are running out of time.

The Salmon Planning Act, H.R. 2573, is a clear step
in the right direction to restore the salmon, to honor
our laws and our treaties with Native Americans whose
lives and prosperity have depended on the salmon, and
to plan for measures to support the Northwest communities
that have relied on the Snake River dams.

HR 2573 provides a safety net with the following measures:

*Independent peer review of the Federal Salmon Plan
by the National Academy of Sciences to examine the
plan's biological standards.
*Order engineering studies for partial dam removal
and how best to help the affected communities once
the dams are removed.
*Grant authority for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
to partially remove the 4 Lower Snake River dams if
other recovery measures fail AND this action is found
necessary to halt extinction of the endangered wild
Snake River salmon to meet federal laws and treaty
obligations.

Please join Representative McDermott and the growing
list of 44 Republicans and Democrats signed on to this
very important effort to plan for our future. The health
of rural communities AND this Northwest and national
treasure must be a top priority.

Please let me know what you intend to do in this important
effort.

Sincerely yours,

robert rice
3635 nw 68th lane
gainesville, FL 32653

If you would like to unsubscribe from Save Our Wild
Salmon, you can respond to this email with "REMOVE"
as the subject, or you can visit your subscription
management page at: