NFC: Eheim help

I picked up a used Eheim filter today - just so I could say I have one, and
also because it was relatively cheap.  But I'm confused - what goes in it?
It is a model 2013 (no info available on the Eheim website) and instead of a
reagula media chamber it has a spiral-looking sleeve which is perforated.
All in all, it looks rather like one of those black flexible drain pipes.
Am I supposed to put biological contact media in it, or what??

Prost,

Martin
Jackson, MS
I think someone should have had the decency to tell me the luncheon was
free.
To make someone run out with potato salad in his hand, pretending he's
throwing up, is not what I call hospitality.