From: owner-nfc at actwin_com [mailto:owner-nfc at actwin_com]On Behalf Of Wright
Huntley
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2001 5:52 PM
To: nfc at actwin_com
Subject: Re: NFC: Exotic crayfish

robert a rice wrote:

> Thats what exotics are russian roulette sure 9 times its ok but the 10th
> time BANG !
>
> I always explain it like this. Every place is a painting why are you
> adding the beard ?

Wonderful, Robert!

That is really sweet talk to the ears of one who makes up to 4 1400-1700
mile trips a year to remove (read that murder, er, euthanize) innocent fish,
crayfish, frogs, plants and turtles that some dip put where it hurt natives'
habitat!

We always lose a significant number of new volunteers who can't take it. "I
didn't come out here just to kill fish!" is heard all too often.

The solution? Be damned careful that you don't introduce "exotic" species of
plants, reptiles, mammals, fish or inverts where they don't belong. Oops.
Left out birds. ;-)

I just told a good friend in Hawaii that I had no desire to send him any of
my cute, overpopulating, pygmy crayfish. Those escape artists could do a
terrible number on their local streams.

Thanks for the good advice.

Wright

--
Wright Huntley, Fremont CA, USA, 510 494-8679  huntley1 at home_com

               http://environmental.networkroom.com/