Re: NFC: Fundulus Chysotus Sellers needed.

Boo,

I'm sure that the NFC is probably different things to different people.  To
me it's always been primarily an organization of aquarists who are also
interested in conservation.

Typical of human beings, we care about what we know, and we tend to get to
know the fish that we keep pretty well.

One of the principle benefits of being a member of the NFC is the connection
that it provides us to other aquarists, and the trades and sales that we
organize among ourselves.  That is really the only way for me to obtain fish
from New Jersey or Florida, for example, since the local fish store simply
doesn't carry them.

So is the NFC a conservation organization?  I believe that it is.  Is it
also an organization of aquarists who are interested in obtaining and
keeping native fish in our home aquariums and ponds?  Of course.

I think this is perhaps the principle difference between an 'Environmental'
organization, like Greenpeace or the Sierra Club, and a 'Conservation'
organization like Ducks Unlimited or the NFC.  One views nature as an
untouchable, unuseable ideal that humans can only destroy, usually with even
minimal contact.  The other sees nature as a valuable resource, having both
economic and spiritual importance.  I am proud to consider myself a
conservationist, but to me, 'environmentalist' is a filthy word.

The conservation organizations, as I see it, do a LOT more for the
environment, by the way, than do the 'environmentalists' (please pardon my
French!) :-)

Best,

Scott