Re: NFC: blue fin killies

Its quite common for blue fin killies to die after
they are removed from their environment in the wild
and placed in the unnatural setting of our aquariums.
They seem to be susceptible to pathogens they either
carry with them that do not manifest themselves in the
wild or to pathogens we commonly find in our
aquariums.  I have heard your experience many times in
the last 30 years and I have experienced it myself on
several ocassions.  My preferred method of obtaining
stock that lives is to obtain eggs.  Fish that hatch
out in my water and are raised in my water do not have
the sensitivity of the fish collected in the wild and
are very hardy if you can meet their food
requirements.  I first kept this fish successfully
when I had some eggs hatch out that hitched a ride on
a plant shipment from Florida.

Klaus