From: Bill Manes <wcmanes at yahoo_com>
To: robert a rice <robertrice at juno_com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 13:05:41 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Questions on Killifish

Thank you!!

Basically I am looking for a good species of killifish
to live and breed in my pond. Some of the important
considerations are:

1. I am in inland empire area of Southern California.
VERY hot summers (100+) and generally mild winters.
Water temperatures will be warm (can be above 85 deg)
for several months.

2. My pond is pretty small (under 300 gallons) and
about 3 ft deep. It has quite a few plants. Water
condtion is pretty good and clear (more than enough
pump and filter), however it is kind of high on the pH
(around 8 or above). I'm not really sure why. No
ammonia and very minimal nitrites/nitrates.

3. It has turtles. My son loves turtles and we have a
couple small sliders (4 in) in the pond (maybe more in
the future :). They will eat the fish if they can.
Hovever they are pretty isolated in one section of the
pond and I can start the fish in another area that is
about 50 gallons. Of couse, eventually I would like
enough fish so the turtles can catch a few and the
population will maintain

4. I have some gambusa (sp?) in th pond now, but they
just don't "show" very well. I want to see the fish
and I would like a little more color and size.

5. I really want something that will:
   be active and hardy,
   stay generally near the top of the pond,
   grow to around 3" or so (not much bigger, smaller
is ok)
   spawn in the pond (the easier the better :)
   be pretty/colorful (however this is low on the
list)

I guess that about does it. I know some killie have
trouble co-existing with gambusa, so if necessary I
would be willing to get rid of them (I have a friend
that would take them). I REALLY appreciate any
information you can provide. I just want to make the
best decision I can.

Thanks,
Bill