Re: NFC: Re: Auctions OT

The truly ironic part?  Invasive bullfrogs may actually be caused by
environmental protection laws!  Most states have laws forbidding the sale
of native species, to protect species from over exploitation.  As such,
fish farms in Florida farm litterally millions of bullfrog tadpoles for
shipment to other states each year.  Wellllllll.... most of these get sold
to be put in backyard ponds.  Some get sold to be put in tanks.  Guess
what happens to those frogs that form in backyard ponds?  Finding the pond
an unsuitable habitat, they hop away.  Those that are put in fish tanks,
turn into frogs, and helpless mothers with good intentions release them
into the nearest stream or pond.  Guess what happens from there?  Yet, if
it were legal to sell native tadpoles (99.99% of which won't make it to be
frogs, anyhow) we wouldn't be facing this problem. A nd, although
populations would be damaged in the short run, people would soon realise
that its much more economical to have a pond full of tadpoles than to try
to collect them somewhere. :)

In Maryland, its illegal to sell anything but Red Eared Sliders, for the
common "Turtle" sold at the pet store.  Painted Turtles are strictly
offlimits (although, I think the Western Painted is okay.)  Welp, at the
nearby C&O canal, Red Ears abound, and can be easily collected.  They're
not native.  ALthough I doubt very much so that they've yet had any
environmental impact, its just one more introduced species that shouldn't
be there.

end
  ____^__
><,Darwin,>
Joshua L. Wiegert
NFC Lists Administrator                          JLW at pi_dune.net
www.geocities.com/RainForest/Jungle/1680/        owner-nfc at actwin_com
ICQ 69553561                                     AIM UID: Etheosoma
Feel free to contact me by any of the above means for any reason.
returns a list of other commands, or feel free to contact me at
Owner-NFC at actwin_com.  All lists are @actwin.com. Come join us and chat
about our native fishes, or visit http://www.nativefish.org!