NFC: ID of Some Fish

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies about finding the "North
American Native Fishes for the Home Aquarium".  I will be looking
on e-bay for the book.

I sent an earlier introductory e-mail but its seems to have never
gotten to the list, so here it is again.

I name is Steve Pituch, from Katy, TX, near Houston.  I have been
working with aquatic plants in my aquariums for about two years.
About a month ago my son (John) and I started looking around for
indigenous aquatic plants to use in my aquariums.  It took a while
but eventually I found some swordplants, ludwiga, nitella, and
sagitaria.  While we were doing this, we noticed the fish in the
water.  The first week we got some guppy-like fish using a jar. I
think they are Mosquito fish. But we had seen some red in the
water so we knew there were other species we couldn't catch.  The
following week we brought a net and caught a few fish that someone
said were Red Shiners.  Last week we used a minnow trap and caught
about 40 Red Shiners, and 10 are a deeper red.  We also caught 3
fish that are not shiners.  I have pictures of them at:

http://users.ev1.net/~spituch/Steve's%20Page/Aquarium/Texas%
20Plants/July%2015,%202001/07015001exp.html

These fish are slimmer, more torpedo like, and have broader and
rounder heads than the shiners.  I would appreciate if someone
could tell me  what kind of fish they are.  They like to stay on
the bottom of the tank.

Also check out the July 1 expedition page that shows the Red
Shiners.

If anyone in the Houston area would like to compare notes on the
locations of fish and aquatic plants, please pipe up.  I am
planning on looking around the area again this weekend.

My goal is to eventually have my 75 gallon tank stocked with just
indigenous plants and fish.

Thanks,

Steve Pituch, in TX

Sent via the EV1 webmail system at mail.ev1.net