Re: Re: NFC: pinestraw as a acidifier?

> >From: robert a rice <robertrice at juno_com>
> >Subject: Re: NFC: pinestraw as a acidifier?

>I don't know about it as an acidifier, but in small backyard ponds who's
>owners don't want to use a lot of chemicals, it is a long standing practice
>to float a very small bale of barley straw to keep the algae down.
>
>- -kris

i think that is just for algaecide that leaches form the straw.  Some of the
guys on the Plant list are calling it the "next big thing" in adapting it to
aquariums.

0
>From: "Chris Hedemark" <chris at yonderway_com>
>Subject: Re: NFC: pinestraw as a acidifier?
>
>I can't comment authoritatively on the appropriateness of pine straw. .....
thanks, I shoud have figured that.  I got the idea because the upper pond in
the farm system is full of it.

>From: Wright Huntley <huntley1 at home_com>

>What, pray tell, is wrong with good old peat -- Canada sphagnum type, to be
>specific?

It doesn't grow on the trees in the back yard. ;)

>... Peel the mesh and microwave in a pyrex ...
Mom would kill me.  She barly truste me to boil tea since that time I melted
the corning ware pot...

measuring
>cup of water to make it soft and instantly sinkable.
Add to an already populated tank sinkable?

>Use in filters, in spawning containers, or as a simple substrate. It
>(slices, it dices, grows hair instatly over nite when used topically)
if i ever get the canister filter running again i will try it.

>Among dwarf cichlid keepers, there are four principle methods for obtaining
>appropriate water for 'blackwater' species:
>
>1.  Buy Rerverse Osmosis 2.  Buy your own RO unit
broke college student

>3.  Collect rain water
4th year of drought